Yves St Laurent’s Majorelle Gardens
The Majorelle Gardens are an absolute oasis in the middle of mad Marrakesh, covering an area of 12 acres of botanical plants and buildings painted bright electric cobalt blue to offset the lush green of the plants. The gardens were designed in the 1920’s and 1930’s by French artist Jacques Majorelle during colonial times when Morocco was under the protectorate of France. The garden has been open to the public since 1947 and since 1980 it has been owned by French designer Yves St Laurent.
The plants are a sight to see with giant cacti sprouting upwards like miniature skyscrapers on some alien land and beautiful palm trees giving cool shelter from the heat. The garden also houses the Islamic Art Museum of Marrakech, a collection of textiles from Yves St Laurent’s personal collection, plus paintings by Majorelle himself.